|| 1,077 (2004 Estimate)
|No. Over 60
|No. Under 18
|Indices of Deprivation
|Population Density KM2
for more information)
|Spending per Resident
|Average Council Tax Band
Trysull & Seisdon As It Is Now
The parish is a compact area, situated, for the most part, in
the shallow, broad valley of the Smestons Brook. The A454,
Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton road forms the Horlkirn boundary, upon
which three large garden centres are situated. A portion of the
western boundary forms the county boundary with Shropshire.
The two villages are about one mile apart but function as one
unit. Seisdon, the larger of the two is a compact unit whilst
Thysull has a mile long, linear, form. The post office and garage
are actually situated Seisdon but the parish church, village hall,
primary school, sports pavilion and playing field are in
There is little employment in the parish, most finding
employment in the neighbouring West Midland conurbation and
Wombourne. The Smestons Industrial Estate situated in the South
Eastern Corner of the parish in a disclosed quarry and pipe works
houses various enterprises.
Farming is mainly arable, with pasture for a few sheep but
mainly horses. There are two public houses in Trysull, one in
Seisdon and another two on the outskirts of the parish.
Most of the housing is post 1945, however there are several
notable buildings, the earliest C14 but mostly C17-19.
Brief History Of Trysull & Seisdon
The feudal estates of Trysull and Seisdon, listed in the
Somerday Bork, are Anglo Saxon in origin and lay within the Seisdon
Hundred. This administrative body met in the open, probably in the
fields known as the “Musters”. Post Conquest the two estates were
held “in captive” by William Fitz Ansculf and subsequently tenanted
by local families. By 1633 both estates lay in the hands of the
Bvottesley family, the ownership passed slowly into other hands,
the last portion being sold in 1929.
The common field system of farming ended in Trysull by mid C17
following private enclosure acts and the exchange of common pasture
with the Vicar of Wombourne in lieu of hay tithe. Five common
fields existed in Seisdon until the end of the C18 with the
concomitant enclosure of Seisdon Common.
The C11 hamlets grew slowly, until prior to 1914 they were
self-contained with parish church, church hak, pubic houses, shops,
a bakers, two post offices, two corn mills, blacksmiths,
wheelwrights, boot and shoe makers, friendly societies, a
sprinkling of professional people and a few “gentry”.
These were several small charities for the relief of the poor,
now merged into the Thomas Rudge Educational Trust and the Parish
Charity. The latter recently built four replacement
For greater detail see Victoria County History of Staffordshire
External Link: Trysull & Seisdon
for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary
Interests and Other Interests