The Earl of Dudley who lived at nearby Himley Hall once owned
the entire land of Baggeridge Country Park . Capability Brown
landscaped the land surrounding the hall and part of this now forms
the southern half of the park up to the Wishing pools.
In 1895 coal was discovered at the northern end of Baggeridge
and pit shafts were sunk. At the height of production it was
claimed that it was the worlds biggest and most modern pit.
It was nationalised in 1947 and finally closed down in 1968.
The pitheads were located either side of the campsite near to the
The derelict land was bought by the council (now South
Staffordshire District Council) and designated a Country Park.
Government Grant Aid enabled improvement works to be carried out
and reclamation began in 1981.
HRH Princess Anne officially opened the Park on 17th June
For more information on the History of Baggeridge Country Park
please click on the link below.
PDF Document: The History of Baggeridge
Country Park (2.4MB)
Baggeridge Country Park
Telephone: (01902) 882605
Fax: (01902) 882605