Council Tax Exemptions

In this section, you will find information about exemptions for empty and occupied properties.

An empty property may be exempt from Council Tax if: 

  • The occupier is now a permanent resident in a hospital or nursing/care home.
  • The occupier has gone to prison 
  • It is being held for a minister of religion as a residence from which to perform his duties. 
  • The occupier has moved to receive personal care. 
  • Occupation is prohibited by law. 
  • The liable person/owner has died and the property forms part of the estate of the deceased person and the personal representative is waiting for grant of probate or letters of administration, or less than six months have elapsed since such a grant was made. You can obtain more information relating to this exemption by reading our information booklet
  • The occupier has moved to provide personal care to another person. 
  • The property has been repossessed by a mortgagee. 
  • The property has been left unoccupied by students. 
  • The property is the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee. 
  • It is unoccupied for up to six months and is owned by a charity. 
  • It is an unoccupied annexe and cannot be let separately within the meaning of the Town and County Planning Act 1990(d). 
  • An unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring. 

Occupied properties that may be exempt from Council Tax include: 

  • A hall of residence provided predominantly for students. 
  • A dwelling either wholly occupied by students, school or college leavers or by certain spouses or dependants of students as term time accommodation. 
  • UK armed forces barracks, married quarters and accommodation for visiting forces. 
  • Visiting forces accommodation. 
  • A home occupied only by a person or persons aged under 18. 
  • A home only occupied by a severely mentally impaired person or persons. 
  • A home where at least one liable person is entitled to diplomatic privileges or immunities. 
  • Granny annexes. 

This information is a brief guide to council Tax exemptions. It does not contain the complete legal requirement for each type of exemption. 

Please remember, while you are waiting for the outcome of an application, you must continue to pay your current bill. If this causes any problem, please contact us immediately. 

Exemptions are periodically reviewed. We may ask you to provide information that helps us to do this. Failing to supply this information could mean any entitlement is cancelled. 

Whenever possible, any reduction to which we believe you are entitled will be shown on your bill for the period stated.

If your circumstances have changed or change in the future so that you are no longer entitled to the reduction shown on your bill, you are required by law to notify the council within 21 days. South Staffordshire District Council may impose a penalty of £70 if you fail to notify them of any changes. 

If you require further assistance, please contact the council tax department by email: or by telephone: 01902 696664 

If you would like to register for self-service where you can access information on your council tax account please follow this link: self service 

A-Z of services