Why have I received a Household Enquiry Form (HEF)?

You will have received a Household Enquiry Form (HEF) as part of the ‘annual canvass' to ensure that the register of electors is kept up to date.

The annual canvass is carried out by sending a HEF (previously known as an annual canvass form) to every household in South Staffordshire. The form will be addressed to "the occupier" and will contain the details of all those in the household who are registered to vote.

Each household is required by law to make sure that the details on the form are correct.

Most HEFs will list the details of who we think lives at your property. Properties where no one is registered to vote will receive a blank HEF.

All eligible residents need to be included on the HEF. Eligible residents are:

• people who are aged 16 years or over (although they will not be able to vote until they are 18) 
• British, Irish or EU citizens, or 
• A Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK


Do I need to do anything if the details have not changed on my HEF?

Yes. You must confirm with us that your details have not changed using one of the methods below:

Click it

Ring it
To confirm no changes call 0800 197 987

Text it
To confirm no changes text : ‘NO CHANGE' with your security code to 80212

Post it
Using the freepost envelope enclosed with your form


What do I do if the information on the HEF needs changing?

You should confirm to us that the details on the HEF have changed by using one of the methods below:


Using the Household enquiry response website: 
Household enquiry response website (external website).

You will be prompted on the first page for your Security Code (this is printed on the first page of your HEF form). You will then be prompted for your Password which is also printed on the first page of your HEF form.

Please note: you can only use the online service if you have a valid email address.


Using the HEF we posted out to you, add to or amend the form as necessary, sign the form on page three and return it to us using the pre-paid envelope supplied. Further details of where to return it to are on the form.



What changes do I need to tell you about?

Someone has moved out/in

If someone is listed on your HEF but has moved away or someone has moved into the property who is not listed on the HEF, you can inform us in the following way:


How to tell us of the changes in your household by post

Cross out the name of the person who has moved away or add the name of the person who has moved in.

Adding a person's name to the HEF or on the Household enquiry response website does not mean that they will be added to the register of electors. All new people who are added to a HEF will receive a form called an Invitation to Register (ITR). This will ask for information about that person, including their National Insurance Number and date of birth. Once this form has been returned to us we can then take steps to register that person.

Anyone over 76

If you are over 76 but there is no cross (X) in the column on the HEF, you must tell us. We ask for this information as it is used by the courts when selecting people for jury service.

You must inform us if you are over 76


Opting in or out of the Open Register

Under the 'Included on the open register' column this will say either:

• Yes -this means you are on the open register which can be bought by any person, company or organisation 
• No - this means that your details are not included on the Open Register and so your details are not passed on to other parties or organisations. This does not affect your right to vote.

Why have I received an Invitation To Register (ITR) form?

An Invitation to Register Form (ITR) is usually sent out only to new people who are not listed on the HEF that we've sent to you.

The reason for this is that the law has changed and in order to be registered, residents must provide us with various information, including your national insurance number and your date of birth. We then try to match this information with the records held by the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP).

If you do not provide us with the details we require, you cannot be entered on the register of electors.


What happens if I do not respond to the HEF or my ITR Form?

If you do not respond to your HEF or ITR, we will send you a reminder. 
If you still do not return the forms, we are obliged to send a personal canvasser to your home with a further reminder.

The potential penalties associated with each are:


There is a criminal penalty for failing to provide the information required by the HEF of a maximum of £1,000. The penalty for providing false information is imprisonment of up to six months or, (on summary conviction) an unlimited fine.


If you do not provide us with the information requested on the Invitation to Register Form (ITR), you could be fined £80 and your name be removed from the register. This means you will not be able to vote and your credit rating could be affected.



I've tried to register by telephone or the Internet but I am not sure if it worked.

Contact us and we will check to see if the registration has been received. If it hasn't you will be advised to try again or to sign the form and send it back in the pre-paid envelope supplied.

I'm xxx nationality. Can I go on the register?

If you are not eligible to vote you should fill in the box which is marked 'None of the residents are eligible to vote because of their nationality', state your nationality in the box underneath. The form should be signed and returned in the pre-paid envelope supplied.

I am a student and am registered at my home address - should I complete this form?

Students are the only people who can register at two addresses. If you want to register at your student address you should insert your details on the form, sign it and return it in the pre-paid envelope supplied.

If you do not want to register at your student address you should tick the 'other reason' box on the form and state that you are a student registered at your home address.

The form should be signed and returned in the pre-paid envelope supplied.

The occupier is deceased, what should I do?

You should write this information on the form and state what will be happening to the property (for sale or empty or due to be occupied). You should sign the form and return it using the pre-paid envelope supplied.

We will also require a copy of the death certificate which can be sent in with the form.


I need help to fill in my form.

Contact us and an officer will assist you.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times


08:30 - 17:00



08:45 - 17:00


We are closed on weekends

View leisure centre opening times