A General Election will take place on Thursday 12 December 2019 between the hours of 7.00am and 10.00pm
Please be aware that due to the short notice of this election and the proximity to Christmas, some of the normal venues used as polling stations may not be available, and alternatives will need to be found. Please check your poll card carefully
- Publication of Notice of Election - 4pm Monday 11 November 2019
- Publication of Notice of Poll - 5pm Thursday 14 November 2019
- Publication of Statement of Persons Nominated -5pm Thursday 14 November 2019
- Deadline for Nominations - 4pm Thursday 14 November 2019
- Last date to register to vote - 00:00 Tuesday 26 November 2019
- Deadline for postal vote applications - 5pm Tuesday 26 November 2019
- Deadline for proxy vote applications - 5pm Wednesday 4 December 2019
To vote in a general election, your name must be on the electoral register.
You can register to vote online and it usually takes about five minutes. You will need to confirm your name, address, date of birth and national insurance number. The deadline to register is midnight on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
There are three different ways that you can vote:
- In person at a polling station.
- By post.
- By proxy (someone voting on your behalf).
Please note, due to the tight time scale, postal votes are sent out very close to the election, and therefore if you are going to be away, or want your postal votes to be sent abroad, you may wish to consider applying for a proxy vote instead. You can find more information on the Electoral Commission.
Proxy voting means getting someone else to vote on your behalf and they must go to your polling station to cast your vote. If you are voting by proxy be sure to apply by 5pm on Wednesday 4 December 2019. However, emergency proxy applications are available up until 5pm on Thursday 12 December 2019 subject to meeting the requirements.
Please note that Electors living in Polling Districts; AAA, ABA, ADA, AEA, AGA, ATA, AUA, BUA, BVA, BWA, CAA, CBA, CCA, CDA, CEA1 and CEA2 will be under the Stafford Constituency. For more information, please see the Stafford Election Page.