What to do once you've been Elected
So you've been elected - what do you need to do next?
1. You should have signed your Declaration of Acceptance of Office and should have access to a copy of the Code of Conduct for your authority which you are now bound by.
2. You must complete your register of disclosable pecuniary interest form (DPI Form) within 28 days of being elected. This form should be sent to the Monitoring Officer at South Staffordshire District Council (although your Clerk will take a copy first) - Mr David Pattison, Monitoring Officer, Council Offices, Codsall, South Staffordshire WV8 1PX.
3. You must declare any interests in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Conduct; the requirements are set out in the Code and you should familiarise yourself with these provisions as soon as possible.
4. You may find the Local Government Association Guide useful (LGA Guide).
5. Familiarise yourself with your Council's Standing Orders (or rules of procedure) – so you know how meetings will operate and who has the power to act in certain situations. These are available from your Clerk or may be on the Parish Council website.
6. Don't be afraid to ask! Your Clerk has a wealth of knowledge and understanding of how your Council works and should be approached in the first instance if you have any queries.