Clean air is essential to good quality of life. People should expect that the air they breathe won't harm them.
Air pollution occurs when air has become contaminated with chemicals or substances not normally associated with the natural composition of the air for that particular area.
Air quality in South Staffordshire is generally very good. Our main source of air pollution comes from road vehicles and to a lesser extent, from industry. We have 3 air quality management areas within the district where the levels of air pollution are close to the air quality limits. These are:
- AQMA 1 – Adjacent to the M6 and Teddesley Road, Nr Penkridge
- AQMA 2 - Bursnips Road, Essington
- AQMA 4 – Along the Wolverhampton Road, Wedges Mills.
- AQMA 5 – The A5 at Hatherton
The Council's Air Quality Action Plan 2008, sets out the measures being used to tackle pollution in these areas.
We monitor pollution levels and compare them to limits set by the government and produce yearly reports for DEFRA each year:
- Annual Status Report 2017
- Annual Status Report 2016
- Updating and Screening Assessment 2015
- Annual Progress Report 2014
- Annual Progress Report 2013
- Updating and Screening Assessment 2012
- Annual Progress Report 2011