Flooding can occur for several reason and several bodies and organisations are responsible for flooding in different situations.
The water company is responsible for public surface water sewers and foul sewers (please note that both Severn Trent Water and South Staffs Water serve areas within South Staffordshire).
Landowners are responsible for ditches, watercourses and also piped watercourses and culverts.
The Environment Agency have also published a series of information about what to do if you are worried about flooding, are flooded and how to clean up after a flood. Please click the following links for more information from the Environment Agency website:-
- What to do if you are worried about flooding
- How to get help during a flood
- How to clear up after a flood
Further local information is also available on the Staffordshire Prepared website.
In an emergency, it is important to:-
- Make sure 999 has been called if people are injured or if there is a threat to life
- Not put yourself or others in danger
- Follow the advice of the emergency services
- Try to remain calm and think before acting, and try to reassure others
- Check for injuries, remember to help yourself before helping others
This council has identified a number of premises across South Staffordshire that can be used as rest centres. In the event of a flooding emergency that requires people to be evacuated from their homes, we will work with local organisations to set up and run these centres.
Please contact the Street Scene team for further information.
Telephone 01902 696000