Grants for Closed Businesses (05/11 to 30/12)
The Government has introduced Local Restrictions Support Grants to help businesses within the Business Rates System that have been legally required to close due to restrictions being put in place to manage coronavirus either at a local or national level.
Who is eligible?
The grants are available for those businesses within the Business Rates system that were open and providing in-person services to customers from their business premises and have been legally required to close. Eligible businesses are those:
- required to close for the periods 2nd December until 16th December 2020 and the 17th December 2020 until 30th December under the Tier 3 - Very High Alert localised restrictions.
- required to close from 5 November 2020 until 2 December 2020 under the national restrictions.
Who is not eligible?
- Businesses that have chosen to close but not been legally required to close
- Businesses that were already closed before being legally required to close
- Businesses that can continue to trade because they do not depend on providing direct in-person services from premises (e.g. accountants, solicitors);
- Businesses which have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of State Aid permitted under the de minimis and the Covid-19 Temporary State Aid Framework;
- Businesses that were in administration, are insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made.
Further details about this scheme are available:
Local Restrictions Support Grant - Local Authority Guidance
For the eligible businesses who are forced to close under the Tier 3 - Very High Alert localised restrictions. The grants are paid as follows:
- Properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under will receive grants of £667
- Properties with a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 will receive grants of £1,000
- Properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or over will receive grants of £1,500
For the eligible businesses who are forced to close under the National Restrictions. The grants are paid as follows:
- Properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under will receive grants of £1,334
- Properties with a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 will receive grants of £2,000
- Properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or over will receive grants of £3,000
The application process for the Grant is now open for both the localised restrictions and national restrictions.
It is important that all applicants read the guidelines before completing their application. Please note you will need to know your business rates property reference number in order to complete your application, this number is located on your business rates bill and begins with a '00'.
All applications must be made on line at www.grantapproval.co.uk. The grant for the period of locailised restrictions is called 'Grant for Closed Businesses' and the grant for the period of national restrictions is called 'National Restrictions Grant'
If your property reference number cannot be identified or you have any other query relating to the Grant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Restrictions Support Grants are subject to tax and will need to be declared by businesses in their tax returns