Test and Trace Support Payments Scheme

Test and Trace Support payments

From 28 September 2020, individuals are entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment of £500. This is to support people on low incomes who are unable to work from home if they are told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and will lose income as a result.


You can apply for a Test and Trace payment if you have been told to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020.

the payment is restricted to people who;

  • have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because they have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • are employed or self-employed
  • are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • are currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax credit, income based Employment and Support Allowance, income based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

Before you submit an application please ensure you have your 8 digit Test and Trace Unique ID from NHS test and Trace, you will need to include this.

You will have to upload a bank statement showing your name, sort code and account that you would like the payment to be made into. This must be in the name of the person who is making the application, we cannot pay into someone else's account.

if you are working, we will need your most recent payslip confirming you are in employment.

If you are Self Employed we will need your most recent accounts, your HMRC Tax Assessment or evidence of trading. All documents will need to be in PDF, PNG, JPEG or JPG format. If your accounts are in another format please save as PDF documents on your device ready to upload.

You will need to provide some information about the type of work you do and why this cannot be done at home, we may contact you or your employer for further information.

The Test and Trace Support Payment Policy provides more information.

Discretionary Payments

If you meet the above conditions but are not receiving one of the above benefits you can apply for the Test and Trace Support Discretionary payment, if your;

  • Regular gross earnings are between £80 - £300 per week if paid weekly or £346 and £1,300 if paid calendar monthly
  • Savings are below £6,000

Full time students and those in Higher Education will not be eligible for a discretionary payment. If you are experiencing hardship you should contact your University or College.

In addition to the above information, you will have to supply 3 months bank statements to evidence your regular household expenditure and provide details of the hardship you will experience as a direct result of having to self isolate.

Your application will be considered on an individual basis.

The Test and Trace Discretionary Policy provides more information.

We are required by law, to share some of your information with other Government departments, please see our Coronavirus Privacy statement for more information.

If you have any queries please email us testandtracesupport@sstaffs.gov.uk

If you are unable to complete the application form online please call 01902 696668 and someone will take you through the application form over the phone.

Once you have submitted the application form you will receive an acknowledgement to confirm your claim has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation please try to submit your claim again.

Additional Support

If you have to self isolate and require additional support then please see our Community Support information for details of organisations that are in your locality.

If you are struggling to pay your rent you may qualify for a payment of Housing Costs with your Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, details can be found on our page Apply for Housing Benefits.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, you may be entitled to Council Tax Support, go to our Benefit Calculator to check if you will qualify.

If you have debts that you are struggling to pay, the Citizens Advice can offer advice and support.

Apply online

Go to the application form


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, the Council Offices are now closed and residents should consider alternative ways of contacting the Council rather than visiting in person Please see the Contact box on the left for further information about how to contact us.