Forward to Health is a 12 week programme designed for people with medical conditions, and aims to increase activity and improve health. It consists of the following:
- Three one to one assessments with one of our fitness instructors - personal review sessions at week 1, 6 and 12 to discuss progress and goals.
- FREE gym sessions and discounts on classes and individual activities.
- Nutritional advice and a personal 12 week gym based exercise programme
- Ongoing support from your instructor throughout the 12 weeks.
The Forward to Health scheme can be recommended by your GP or you can refer yourself.
Who is eligible for the Forward to Health?
To be eligible for the programme you must have a pre-existing medical condition. This will be assessed by the Fitness Instructor at your first consultation.
Forward to Health will help deliver a range of benefits gained from regular exercise:
- Exercise controls weight
- Exercise combats health conditions and diseases
- Exercise improves mood
- Exercise boosts energy
- Exercise promotes better sleep
- Exercise helps to reduce anxiety
- Exercise lowers your risk of other conditions such as depression
- Exercise can be fun
What happens at the end of your 12 week programme?
At your 12 week review session, your instructor will discuss your progress with you and how you can continue to be physically active. Following the 12 week programme, you will be offered an exclusive membership 'Forward to Health Plus' which gives you unlimited use of individual activities for a 3-month period.
Is it safe for me to exercise?
It is important to recognise that as a self referral scheme, you must raise any concerns you may have about exercising with the instructor. There will always be an element of risk associated with being physically active, however for most people, the benefits to health far outweigh the risks of not being active.
For some people however, exercise may be unsafe. When you get to your centre of choice, you will be given a full health check as part of your initial assessment. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire which will help determine if it is safe for you to join the scheme. The questionnaire will ask the following questions:
- Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by your doctor?
- Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
- In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
- Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
- Do you have a bone/joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
- Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs for your blood pressure or heart condition?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you may not be accepted onto the programme as it could be unsafe for you to exercise. Should you have an issue that prevents you coming onto the scheme, you will not be charged for your initial consultation. If you're unsure, please get in touch.
How much does it cost?
12 week programme costs £65.00 (£25 initial payment, followed by 2 payments of £20 by direct debit; Alternatively you can pay upfront for the 12 weeks at the reduced price of £60.00
What to do next?
Contact your local leisure centre to book an appointment for an initial assessment for 'Forward to Health'.
12 Weeks programmeGet in touch