The registration of deaths is dealt with by the Staffordshire Registration Service. Online appointments can be made on their website by clicking on the link below or alternatively you can contact them by telephoning 0300 111 8001.
A death must be registered within five days, or seven days if a coroner is investigating the death. The death must be registered in the district where it happened.
There are certain things that will need to be done within the first few days following a death. You will need to talk to some organisations and fill in documents needed by law.
- If there is no will, decide who will sort out the estate, then get probate.
- Tell the family doctor.
- Contact a funeral director.
- If the death was at home or a nursing home they will take the deceased to a chapel of rest. Make arrangements for the funeral.
- Get a medical certificate of cause of death signed by a doctor, or contact the coroner's office for advice if they are involved.
- Register a death at the registration office
Further information on what to do when someone dies can be found on the UK Government website by clicking on the link below.