Who is exempt from Business Rates?

Certain classes of business property do not attract Business Rates at all. These properties do not appear in the rating list:

  • Agricultural Land
  • Agricultural Buildings
  • Fish Farms
  • Fishing Rights
  • Places of Religious Worship (including church halls)
  • Property of Trinity House (lighthouses, buoys etc.)
  • Sewers and Property of the Drainage Authority
  • Public Parks
  • Property used for the sole use of Disabled Persons

Several classifications of property are exempt from paying rates when certain conditions apply, even though they appear in the rating list:

Unoccupied Properties

  1. Unoccupied newly built properties or those where structural alterations or major repairs have taken place (exempt for up to 3 months from completion of work)
  2. Unoccupied business property (exempt for up to 3 months).
  3. Industrial business property (exempt for up to 6 months).
  4. Business properties where occupation is prohibited by law.
  5. Business properties where occupation is prohibited by action taken by the Crown or any local or public authority.
  6. Listed buildings
  7. Ancient monuments
  8. Business properties with a rateable value of less than £2600.
  9. Unoccupied business properties where the owner is entitled to possession only in his capacity as the personal representative of a deceased person.
  10. Unoccupied business properties where the owner is subject to a bankruptcy order or a winding-up order under the Insolvency Act 1986.
  11. Unoccupied business properties where the owner is entitled to possession only in his capacity as a trustee under a deed of arrangement or as a liquidator under the Insolvency Act 1986.

Occupied Properties

  1. Agricultural land and buildings (e.g. arable, meadow or pasture ground; buildings used in connection with agricultural operations on the land and with the keeping and breeding of livestock).
  2. Fish farms.
  3. Fishing rights
  4. Places of religious worship (where these belong to the Church of England or the Church in Wales. For other religions, the property concerned must be certified under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855. This exemption includes church halls and similar buildings [provided they are used in connection with a place of public religious worship]).
  5. Trinity House property (e.g. lighthouses; buoys and beacons).
  6. Sewers and accessories (e.g. drains; sewers; manholes; ventilating shafts and pumps. The exemption does not apply to sewage farms or sewage disposal works).
  7. Property of Drainage Authorities (e.g. structures used for controlling or regulating the flow of water into or out of a watercourse on a main river).
  8. Parks (provided they are under the management of a relevant authority and are available for free and unrestricted use by members of the public).
  9. Property used for the disabled (e.g. properties providing facilities for the welfare and training of disabled persons).
  10. Air raid protection works (e.g. air raid shelters).
  11. Swinging Moorings (i.e. a buoy attached to an anchor which rests underwater).
  12. Road crossings over watercourses (e.g. bridges, viaducts or tunnels constructed to allow river crossings).
  13. Property in Enterprise Zones.

The above classes are stated in broad terms. Within each of the classes, a number of conditions may need to be met before the exemption is satisfied.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Business Rates Department by email: taxation@sstaffs.gov.uk or by telephone: 01902 696669

If you would like to register for self-service where you can access information on your Business rates account please follow this link:- self service


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, the Council Offices are now closed and residents should consider alternative ways of contacting the Council rather than visiting in person Please see the Contact box on the left for further information about how to contact us.