Permitted Development

What is permitted development?

All development needs planning permission. However, many kinds of development have automatic planning permission, granted by national law. These are known as permitted development or PD.

Is my proposal PD?

You can get a rough idea by visiting the Planning Portal website. It hosts interactive guides covering all of the most common PD projects. The Government has also provided guidance to help everyone understand the law.

If you would like us to check whether your proposal is PD, please send in a householder enquiry form. You'll need to include the fee and documents specified on the form.

If we find that your proposal is PD, we will issue a lawful development certificate (LDC). Solicitors will ask to see this if you sell your house. Not having one can cause costly and frustrating delays.

PD extensions and changes of use

There are special PD rights for some large domestic extensions and some changes of use. Those rights allow you to use the “prior notification" procedure, which is a cross between an LDC and a full planning application.

Unlike an LDC, we have to tell your neighbours about the proposal. However, we must base our decision on a narrower range of considerations than we would for a full application. For more information, please see the interactive guides.

To tell us about a large domestic extension, you can use our householder enquiry form. PD change of use forms are available from the Planning Portal.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.