Apply for Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit

If you pay rent to a landlord, you can apply online for Housing Benefit, this is done through our Benefits Calculator.

If you live in the following postcodes you may have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit;

DY3, DY6, DY7, & DY8

WV3, WV4, WV5, WV6, WV7, WV8, WV9, WV10, WV11


Please contact us on 01902 696668 for more information

Housing Benefit is based upon your household circumstances, however you are unable to claim if;

  • you own the property in which you live.
  • you pay rent to a close relative who lives in the property with you.
  • you have savings over £16,000 (unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit).

To calculate your estimated entitlement to Housing Benefit, please use our Benefits Calculator. If you decide to continue and make an application, you can complete the claim form on-line.

Housing Benefit entitlement will normally start from the Monday following your date of first contact with a designated authority (i.e. Council Offices, Department of Works and Pensions).

If there are good reasons, such as illness, why you couldn't make a claim earlier, your can request backdating for up to 1 month.

You can request backdating by completing the section on your application form. Alternatively, please contact us in writing confirming the date you wish Housing Benefit to be considered from and confirm the reasons for the delay in claiming.

Your housing benefit can be backdated for up to three months if you are of pension credit age, you don't have to give reasons for not claiming earlier.

Your claim for housing benefit won't be backdated for the full three months if you were not of pension credit age or paying rent on your current home for all that time.

Use the pension credit calculator to check when you reach pension credit age.

If you or your partner have reached pension credit age but are getting income support, income-based JSA or income-related ESA your claim can only be backdated for 1 month.

If you require assistance in claiming, please call 01902 696668 to arrange an appointment at our office in Codsall.

Alternatively, you can apply online or contact the Benefits Department via e-mail at


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times


08:30 - 17:30



08:45 - 17:00


We are closed on weekends

View leisure centre opening times