Housing Benefit

Claiming Housing Benefit

If you pay rent to a landlord, you should apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are of Pension Credit age or live in temporary or supported accommodation.

You can check your entitlement using the calculator for Pension Credit on Gov.uk

You can check your entitlement to benefits on the Turn 2 Us website, using the benefits calculator

You can apply online to claim Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit entitlement will normally start from the Monday following your date of first contact with a designated authority (ie Council Offices, Department of Works and Pensions).


If there are good reasons, such as illness, why you couldn't make a claim earlier, your can request backdating for up to 1 month.

You can request backdating by completing the section on your application form. Alternatively, please contact us in writing confirming the date you wish Housing Benefit to be considered from and confirm the reasons for the delay in claiming.

Your housing benefit can be backdated for up to three months if you are of pension credit age, you don't have to give reasons for not claiming earlier.

Council Tax Support

Your claim will automatically be registered as a claim for Council Tax Support, if you are liable to pay Council Tax.

If you require assistance in claiming, please call 01902 696668 to arrange a telephone appointment or email benefits@sstaffs.gov.uk

Other pages in the section

Change In Your Circumstances

In this section, find out more about reporting a change of circumstances

How My Benefit Is Worked Out

In this section, find out more about how my benefit is calculated

If you disagree with the decision

In this section, find out more about appeals against decisions

Moving In / Out

In this section, find out how to report a change of address

Non-Dependant Deductions

In this section, find out more about Non dependant deductions

Overdrawn bank account

Your bank can not take any benefits to pay an overdraft Banks are not allowed to use Housing Benefit or any other incom

Overpayment of Housing Benefit

In this section, find out more about overpayment of Housing Benefit


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.