Universal Credit

The Government has introduced Universal Credit as part of the welfare reforms.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will replace 6 existing benefits for working age people.

It will eventually replace:

  • Housing Benefit

  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)

  • Income Support

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions and not local councils.

Those customers claiming Universal Credit (UC) will have their housing costs paid as part of their UC and will no longer be entitled to claim Housing Benefit.


The following customers can continue claiming Housing Benefit;

Pension age claimants.

Customers who live in Supported Accommodation. This is accommodation where you receive such support as care, supervision or counselling and advice. Some examples of supported accommodation are hostels, refuges and supported living complexes.

Customers with three or more children.

For further information go to GOV UK, or to apply for Universal Credit or contact the Universal Credit help-line on 0800 328 9344 (open Monday to Friday, 8am – 6 pm).

If you require help to make an online application please contact us on 01902 6966668.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is NOT included in Universal Credit therefore you will still be able to claim this from South Staffordshire Council. It is important that your claim for Council Tax Support is made as early as possible. You will need to apply online.

Change in Circumstances

If you currently get Housing Benefit and have a change in your circumstances it may mean you have to move on to Universal Credit. If this is the case you will need to make an online claim for Universal Credit. You should tell us about the change as normal and we will tell you if this means a new claim for Universal Credit has to be made. To report any changes in circumstances please email Benefits@sstaffs.gov.uk or call 01902 6966668

Please note that if you already receive Housing Benefit and Universal Credit is claimed, your Housing Benefit entitlement will end on the date in which Universal Credit is claimed.

Already receiving Universal Credit

If you are already receiving Universal Credit you will need to contact Universal Credit to report the change in your circumstances. Council Tax Reduction will remain with the Council as per the advice above.

Universal Credit and Landlords

Landlords come together about Universal Credit

South Staffordshire Council are working with the Department for Work and Pensions on a campaign to reach out to both Social and Private Rental Sector landlords to provide information about Universal Credit that will help them support their tenants. DWP has developed a new suite of landlord communication products including a top tips guide, new videos and a new section of the Understanding Universal Credit website for landlords.

Download Landlord Top Tips for more advice and support


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.