Council Tax Discount - Severely Mentally Impaired
Households containing people suffering from severe mental impairment, including (but not limited to) those with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease, those who have suffered a stroke, those with severe learning difficulties and those who have suffered such impairment as a result of injury, may be entitled to a reduction in their council tax.
To qualify, someone must be medically certified as having a condition that affects their intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent, and be entitled to at least one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Incapacity Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate care component)
- An increase in disablement pension (as constant attendance is needed)
- Disability Working Allowance
- Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Income Support (which includes a disability premium)
- Personal Independence Payment
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Universal Credit (in circumstances where a person has limited capability for work and/or work related activity)
Level of discount
If you have been diagnosed as being severely mentally impaired by a doctor and you are living alone or only with others who are severely mentally impaired, you will be exempt from paying Council Tax.
If you have been diagnosed as being severely mentally impaired by a doctor and you live with one adult your household will receive a 25% discount.
If you have been diagnosed as being severely mentally impaired by a doctor and you live with 2 or more adults there will be no reduction unless another adult can be disregarded (please see our Council Tax discounts page.)
If you think you may be eligible you should complete an application form.
If you require further assistance, please contact the Council Tax Department by email: email@example.com or by telephone: 01902 696664
If you would like to register for self-service where you can access information on your Council Tax account please follow this link:- My Account