Permitted Industrial Processes

In this section, you will find further information relating to Permitted Industrial Processes

In order to prevent pollution, industrial processes that use or emit certain substances are controlled under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 (as amended).

Our role is to issue permits which set controls and emission standards to minimise pollution. Once a permit has been issued, we inspect the activity, and those with a higher pollution potential are inspected more frequently.

If a company breaches the conditions enforcement action may be taken.

Anyone operating an activity that is listed in Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 (as amended) requires a permit. The industrial activities covered by the regulations are very wide ranging and are split into three categories, depending on their size: Part A1, Part A2 or Part B installations.

A1 activities

The Environment Agency regulates A1 activities, which are typically undertaken by the larger more polluting and complex industries, such as landfill sites and large scale poultry farms.

A2 activities

We undertake the inspection and regulation of all part A2 activities within the district.  Activities include the manufacture of clay bricks. The part A2 activities regime is known as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). 

A1 and A2 industries have pollution controls to protect the environment from emissions to air, water (including discharges to sewer) and land, including any other activities that may have an environmental impact.

Part B activities

Part B activities are considered unlikely to cause pollution to land or water and are only regulated for emissions to air. This ranges from dry cleaners and petrol stations to loading and unloading of cement and printing works. The Part B activities regime is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). 

Mobile installations: Part A2 and B mobile units such as stone crushers are regulated by us if their head office or principal place of business is located within the jurisdiction of South Staffordshire Council. Operators of these units are required to inform us of their location. As before, Part A1 mobile units are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Public Register

We maintain a register of all industrial sites in South Staffordshire which have been granted a permit to operate under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016. This can viewed at the Council Offices by making an appointment

Permit Application

Anyone wanting to operate an A1 activity needs to apply to the Environment Agency, and anyone wishing to operate a Part A2 or Part B activity must submit an application to us with the appropriate fee. 

  • Part A2 application form/transfer form/variation form 

  • Part B application form/transfer form/variation form 

The permit application is then considered, using government guidance to determine whether to issue or refuse the permit application. If a permit is issued, it will include conditions which set down how the pollution will be minimised.

It is the operator's responsibility to determine whether the regulations apply to their activity, and, if so, whether it is a Part A1, A2 or Part B activity. Operators should satisfy themselves that they comply with the law.

Further guidance

For further guidance, take a look at the Core Guidance Notes or check out the web site.

Was this page useful?

A-Z of services