Business Restart Grants
The Restart Grant scheme supports businesses that are predominantly reliant on delivering in-person services for the general public in the non-essential retail, hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym businesses sectors in England.
It is a one-off grant payment available to eligible premises registered for Business Rates. The grants will commence in April 2021 and will replace all existing Local Restrictions Support Grants (except the Additional Restrictions Grant).
The grants are paid as follows:
Non-essential retail premises (Restart Grant 1):
- For properties with rateable value of £15,000 or under, grant of £2,667
- For properties with rateable value of over £15,000 and below £51,000, grant of £4,000
- For properties with rateable value of £51,000 and over, grant of £6,000
Hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym premises (Restart Grant 2):
- For properties with rateable value of £15,000 or under, grant of £8,000
- For properties with rateable value of over £15,000 and below £51,000, grant of £12,000
- For properties with rateable value of £51,000 and over, grant of £18,000
Awards are subject to maximum permitted subsidy allowances. Further information about this can be found below.
Who is eligible and not eligible?
The Restart Grant scheme is for businesses on the ratings list only.
Grant awards will be based on business rates records held on April 1 2021. Any changes to the rating list (rateable value or to the hereditament) after 1 April 2021 should be ignored for the purposes of eligibility. Local Authorities are not required to adjust, pay where the rating list is subsequently amended retrospectively to 1 April 2021.
Businesses must have been trading on 1 April 2021 to be eligible to receive funding under this scheme.
To help you find out whether your business is eligible please use our 'Eligibility Guide'.
Exclusions to all grant eligibility
- Businesses that are not within the ratings system will not be eligible to receive funding under this scheme.
- Businesses that have already received grant payments that equal the maximum permitted subsidy allowances will not be eligible to receive funding.
- Businesses that are in administration, insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made, are not eligible for funding under this scheme.
Business Grant subsidy allowance
The EU State Aid rules no longer apply, and new subsidy allowances have been established for COVID-19 business grant schemes. You need to ensure that your business complies with these arrangements and further guidance can be found by visiting our State aid and subsidy allowances web page.
The application process for the Grant is now open and will close on 29th June 2021.
It is important that all applicants read the guidelines before completing their application. Please note you will need to know your business rates property reference number in order to complete your application, this number is located on your business rates bill and begins with a '00'. We ask that all applicants also provide their business rates account reference number (8 digit number beginning with 5) as this will speed up payments to all applicants.
Applications must be made on line at www.grantapproval.co.uk
If your property reference number cannot be identified or you have any other query relating to the Grant, please email email@example.com.
Support for Businesses who are not registered for Business Rates
Information relating to the availability of grants for Businesses not registered for Business Rates is expected be made available week commencing 5th April 2021.