Why are food samples taken?
We sample to:
• identify potential problems with specific types of food or types of food businesses as part of national or regional studies;
• investigate food poisoning outbreaks and food contamination incidents
• investigate complaints;
• assess food suspected of being sub-standard;
• reassure the public about food safety;
• deliver a more effective food inspection service.
When will a food sample be taken?
Food samples are usually taken in the following situations:
• As part of routine food hygiene inspections to aid assessment of food safety management.
• Investigation of complaints
Food & Safety Team