Gambling Premises Licences

What activities and type of premises are covered by the Act?

The Gambling Act 2005 covers ALL premises that allow commercial gambling including bookmakers, horse tracks, dog tracks, casinos, amusement arcades and pubs and bars with gaming machines. The Act also allows holders of appropriate operating licences to make temporary use of other premises (e.g. hotels, conference centres) for gambling. The Act also covers remote gambling (that is gambling via the internet, interactive TV or a mobile phone).

What type of licence, permit or other authorisation do I need for my premises?

The type of licences, permits and other authorisations available to those wanting to offer gambling activities are outlined in our gambling policy.

What is the difference between licences and permits?

Applicants for premises licences must have been granted an operating licence by the Gambling Commission and their staff may need to apply for one or more personal licences. Applicants for permits do not need to apply for any other authorisation; however, permits are more restrictive in terms of what they allow.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.