Caravan Sites and Mobile Home Parks

The Mobile Homes Act 2013 introduces new powers and duties for the Local Authority in respect of residential park home and caravan sites which are occupied by persons other than the site licence holder and/or their employees.

The Act gives the Local Authority:

• Powers to charge fees for licences

• Powers to refuse licences

• New enforcement powers to tackle breach of licence conditions

• A duty to maintain and publish a register of Site Rules

For further information about how the changes affect you, download the leaflet Park homes: know your rights from the Department for Communities and Local Government. Another source of information and advice is the Leasehold Advisory Service , a Non Departmental Public Body funded by Government to provide free legal advice to leaseholders, landlords, professional advisers, managers and others on the law affecting residential leasehold.

Why do sites need a licence?

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. A caravan is any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but not railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or a tent. If you want to site a caravan on land you need a licence unless one of the following exceptions applies: ·

  • Incidental use within the curtilage of a dwelling house;
  • Single caravan used by a person for not more than two nights and 28 days in 12 months;
  • Holdings of five acres or more, if not more than 28 days in 12 months, and a maximum of three caravans at any time;
  • Sites occupied and supervised by [PDF Image] exempted organisations;
  • Sites approved by exempted organisations for up to five caravans;
  • Meetings organised by exempted organisations;
  • Agricultural and forestry workers;
  • Building and engineering sites;
  • Travelling showmen;
  • Sites operated and owned by a local council, county councils or regional councils.

What are the conditions of registration?

Licences are issued with conditions which include:

  • the type of caravan, e.g. residential, static holiday or touring.
  • the permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans.
  • water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • fire precautions and electrical installations

New Fees Policy

South Staffordshire District Council consulted on a proposed fee policy to be implemented for the first time in the 2016/17 financial year . This policy will be of interest to both site owners and pitch occupiers as fees charged can be passed on to pitch occupiers by site owners . The results of the consultation exercise were considered and South Staffordshire Council Mobile Homes Act 2013 Fees and Charges Policy has been adopted.

How do I apply?

Apply for a caravan and camping site licence

Contact the team


or use the contact details below.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.