Personal Licences

The Council grants personal licences.

They authorise an individual to sell and supply alcohol in pubs, bars, supermarkets etc. in accordance with a premises licence.

A personal licence is not needed for someone who works at a club that only hold a Club Premises Certificate however it is good practice to have one. Holding a licence also enables a person to authorise someone else to supply alcohol.

The personal licence is designed to ensure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so in a professional fashion.

Once you receive your personal licence, you can act as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for any business that sells or supplies alcohol. You can sell/ supply alcohol anywhere in England and Wales that has the benefit of a premises licence. Upon grant it has effect indefinitely unless it is suspended or forfeited by a court following any conviction of you of a “relevant offence".

We will need:

1) Personal Licence Application Form
2) Two photographs of yourself, one of which is endorsed (like a passport photo, certifying that this is a true likeness)
3) Accredited Qualification
4) Criminal Record Bureau Check from 3 January 2018, if an applicant is living in England and Wales, you will be required to instruct them to apply for their criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service website.

Any enquiries regarding this should be directed to the Disclosure and Barring Service via: email at: Telephone on 0300 020 0190

5) Declaration of Convictions
6) Fee

If you are 18 or over, you provide the above, and you have not been convicted of a relevant offence then the council WILL grant you a licence.

If, however, you have a conviction for an unspent relevant offence then we are obliged to notify Staffordshire Police. They may object to you holding a licence.

Whether your offence is spent or not will be determined by reference to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 which sets out the “rehabilitation" periods applicable for each offence.

If the police take the view that the council granting you a licence would undermine the ‘crime prevention' objective then they will give the council a notice to that effect. The notice should say why the police are of that view. If a notice is given then there will generally be a hearing held at the council to determine whether you should be granted a licence or not. At the hearing the police will be allowed to amplify their concerns and you will be given the opportunity to ask questions of the police and address those concerns.

If the members of the committee who hear the application feel it is appropriate (having considered everything) to reject your application so as to promote the crime prevention objective then they will do so. You will be given confirmation of the decision and reasons for the same in writing. You will have the right of appeal to the local Magistrate's Court. You must lodge your appeal within 21 days of receiving the decision and reasons in writing. You may have to pay a fee to the court to begin your appeal.

If you change address you must let us know, in writing, as soon as practicable.

If you are ever charged with a relevant offence then no later than the first time you appear in court you must produce your licence to the court. If that is not practicable you must notify the court that you are a personal licence holder and that this council issued it to you and tell them why you cannot produce it.

If you are convicted of the offence then the court should provide details to us. We will then endorse your licence.

The court can suspend or forfeit your licence following your conviction.

If for some reason you do not tell the court you are a personal licence holder then you must tell this council if you are convicted of a relevant offence

Failure to produce/ notify the court and, separately, failure to tell, this council is a criminal offence and can, later on, lead to the suspension/ forfeiture of your licence.

Renewing Your Personal Licence

From 1st April 2015, under the provisions of the Deregulation Act 2015, the requirement to renew a personal licence was removed.

Therefore if you have a licence with an expiry date of 1st April 2015 onwards your licence is taken as having no expiry date.

Lost, Damaged or Stolen Licences

If you lose or damage your licence or it is or destroyed or stolen, you can apply to us for a copy. The request should be made in writing and you will have to pay a fee of £10.50 before the replacement can be issued.



Telephone: 01902 696804


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.