Overpayment of Housing Benefit

If you have received more Housing Benefit than you should have, this is called an Overpayment. If we think that you could have known you were being overpaid we will recover the money from you.

If you are still entitled to Housing Benefit we will recover the overpayment by reducing the amount we pay to you or your landlord by a weekly amount. This weekly amount will vary depending on how much your Housing Benefit award is and how much income you have coming in every week or month.

If you cannot afford the weekly amount you can request this is reduced by completing an Income and Expenses form.

If you are no longer entitled to Housing Benefit we will issue you an invoice for the overpayment and for any previous overpayment you may be repaying.

Payment is required within 2 weeks. You can pay your bill, with a credit or debit card, using our online payments

If you would like to arrange a payment plan then you can do so by completing the Income and Expenses form with an offer of payment by email to taxation@sstaffs.gov.uk or by ringing the office on 01902 696668.

Independent Advice

If you are having financial difficulties the Citizens Advice Bureau have money advisers who are available to discuss debt issues.

The National Debt line provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems.

Step Change Debt Charity - can help overcome debt problems. Unlike companies that charge a fee to manage people's debts, the charity's advice is completely free.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.