Apply for Housing
Housing Services are responsible for delivering the Council's statutory front line homelessness and housing advice services. The team is based at the main council offices in Codsall providing the service to all residents of the district.
The Council no longer owns and manages its own housing stock, which was transferred to South Staffordshire Housing Association on the 10th March 1997. Households to whom the Council owes a duty under the homelessness legislation are accommodated by nomination to seven housing associations operating within the area, with which the Council has nomination service level agreements.
The team has a strategic role as it has responsibility for development of the Council's Homelessness Strategy, and implementation of its action plan.
The work of the Housing Services team is mainly statutory in its nature and is governed by the following legislation:
- Housing Act 1996 (Parts VI and VII)
- Homelessness Act 2002
- Protection from Eviction Act 1977
Aims of the Service
The service has three key aims:
- Ensuring that good quality housing advice and information is available at the appropriate time to prevent residents becoming homeless, and to enable them to make informed choices as to their future housing options.
- Ensuring that those households most in need are able to access good quality affordable housing either through its nomination agreements with housing associations, or within the private rented sector.
- Protection of private tenants from landlord harassment and illegal eviction.
Applying For Housing
To apply for housing you must firstly complete an application form. These are available :-
- In the Solutions area in the main Council offices
- By telephoning the Housing Services Team on 01902 696000
Choice Based Lettings
The Homefinder scheme has been designed to improve access to affordable rented homes owned by housing associations within the South Staffordshire area. The scheme aims to simplify the way in which residents can rent a home and takes into account the date that they registered with the scheme. They will be assessed for housing need and personal links to the district and advised which of the priority bands they fall within.
Each Wednesday, properties will be advertised as follows:-
- On the Council's notice boards outside the main office
- In the Solutions area at the main Council offices in Codsall.
- In the three leisure centres in Wombourne, Cheslyn Hay and Penkridge.
- On the Councils website, by using ‘this weeks available properties' link below.
- Applicants may also telephone the Housing Services Team for information.
- Applicants who have been identified as being vulnerable will be contacted individually.
You can express an interest in a property by :-
- Contacting Customer Services on 01902 696000
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing to: Housing Services, South Staffordshire Council, Wolverhampton Road, Codsall, South Staffordshire, WV8 1PX
View our Choice Based Lettings policy
Other helpful websites below: