Home Improvements

Disabled Facilities Grants and Adaptation Grants

If you or someone living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of providing necessary adaptations and facilities in your property.

Adaptation Grants have been introduced by the Council specifically to reduce administration and waiting times for clients. They are similar to Disabled Facilities Grants in that grant aid is available for essential works, subject to application criteria being met. Grant applications are looked after on behalf of the Council by Millbrook Healthcare and assistance is available towards disabled adaptations to most types of living accommodation, including mobile homes and houseboats.

What is grant assistance available for?

The works must be necessary and appropriate. This will need to be discussed between the disabled person and an Occupational Therapist from Staffordshire County Council's Social Services Department.

It must also be reasonable and practicable to carry out the works. This often depends on the age, condition and layout of the property.

Subject to the above, the following are examples of works that may be available.

  • Widening of doors/provision of ramps to facilitate access into and around the property
  • Improvement of access to upstairs facilities, i.e. bedrooms and bathroom through the installation of a stairlift/vertical through floor lift
  • Provision of ground floor facilities e.g, a shower room, WC or bedroom
  • Work to make a property safer for the disables occupant and others residing with them
  • Work to make kitchen work areas more accessible
  • Provision of, or improvements to, heating for disabled people, where inadequate heating is detrimental to their health
  • Improvement of access to gardens

Who can apply for Adaptation Grants?

To apply, you must be either the owner or tenant of the property; even though you may not be the disabled resident for whom the works are required. It is also possible for a landlord to apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.

How much can I get?

The size of the grant you can claim will be decided by a test of resources. This examination takes into account the income and capital of the disabled person (and their spouse). However, if the grant is for the benefit of a disabled dependent child, or young person who is under the age of 19, then this test of resources does not apply. The limit for an Adaptation Grant is currently £30,000.

How do I proceed?

If you are an adult with a disability, you should contact Staffordshire Cares on 0300 111 8010. They will arrange for an Occupational Therapist and/or a Case Worker to visit you and to make an assessment of the disabled person's needs. They will also explain the application process.

For children with a disability, you should contact the First Response Team on 0800 1313 126.

Following your initial assessment, Millbrook Healthcare will help you fill in the forms and get any necessary plans and estimates. They will then deal with your grant application.

Is there a Waiting List?

There may be an initial wait before the Occupational Therapist can visit you to make an assessment. Social Services will be able to advise you on this.

If you do decide to apply for grant assistance you can expect:

  • Staff that are professional, courteous and helpful
  • To be kept informed of progress
  • A survey and schedule of works
  • Help with the completion of application forms
  • Help with getting estimates and dealing with contractors
  • Regular inspection of the works up to and including completion

Where can I find reputable traders to carry out the works?

If you choose to appoint your own contractors to carry out the recommended works, please speak to your Millbrook Healthcare Ltd caseworker in the first instance. Staffordshire County Council maintains a Traders Register. This is a list of registered businesses checked by Trading Standards that commit to a code of practice that defines the promises made by the business in delivering services to you.

Further Information

Further information on all of the above can be found in the Council's Housing Assistance Policy.

Contact Details

Staffordshire Cares:

Freephone: 0300 111 8010

Email: codsall.socialservices@staffordshire.gov.uk

First Response Team:

Freephone: 0800 1313 126

Email: firstr@staffordshire.gov.uk

Millbrook Healthcare:

Telephone: 0330 124 7077

Email: enquiries@millbrookhealthcare.co.uk


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.