Forward to Health is a scheme designed for people with medical conditions, with the aim of increasing activity and improving health. It is a 12 week programme and consists of the following:
- Three one to one assessments with your personal exercise instructor including personal review sessions at week 1, 6 and 12 to discuss progress and set new goals.
- Fully inclusive of gym sessions, exercise classes and swimming at all of our leisure centres.
- Nutritional advice and a personal 12 week exercise programme to meet your individual fitness and medical needs.
- Ongoing support from your instructor throughout the 12 weeks.
The Forward to Health scheme may be recommended to you by your GP or healthcare professional, or you can refer yourself.
Who is eligible for the Forward to Health?
To be eligible for the programme you must have a pre-existing medical condition. This will be assessed by the Fitness Consultant at your first consultation.
What happens at the end of your 12 week programme?
At your 12 week review session, your instructor will discuss your progress with you and how you can continue to be physically active. Following the 12 week programme, you will be offered an exclusive membership - a three month Forward to Health Plus Membership. Fully inclusive of gym sessions, exercise classes and swimming at all of our leisure centres.
What is the cost of the scheme?
Forward to Health and Forward to Health Plus schemes are 12 week programme costing £65.00 (£25 initial payment followed by 2 further payments of £20 by Direct Debit; Alternatively you can pay upfront for the 12 weeks at the reduced price of £60.00
Forward to Health will help deliver the following benefits gained from regular exercise:
- Exercise controls weight
- Exercise combats health conditions and diseases
- Exercise improves mood
- Exercise boosts energy
- Exercise promotes better sleep
- Exercise helps to reduce anxiety
- Exercise lowers your risk of other conditions such as depression
- Exercise can be fun
Is it safe for me to exercise?
It is important to recognise that as a self referral scheme, you must raise any concerns about your suitability to exercise with the instructor. There will always be an element of risk associated with being physically active, however for most people, the benefits to health far outweigh the risks of not being active.
For some people however, exercise may be unsafe. When you get to your centre of choice, you will be given a full physical health check as part of your initial assessment. You will be asked to complete a physical activity readiness questionnaire which will help determine if it is ok for you to join the scheme.
The questionnaire will ask the following questions:
- Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by your doctor? Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
- In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
- Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
- Do you have a bone/joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
- Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs for your blood pressure or heart condition?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you may not be accepted onto the programme as it could be unsafe for you to exercise. Should you have an issue that prevents you coming onto the scheme, you will not be charged for your initial consultation
The Forward to Health programme can be selected a maximum of 2 occasions per year.
Interested? What do I do next?
You need to call your local leisure centre to book an appointment for an initial assessment. Please tell the person on the telephone that you would like an initial assessment for the Forward to Health programme so that they book an assessment with an appropriately trained instructor.
The scheme is available at the following leisure centres:
Codsall (01902) 844032
Cheslyn Hay (01922) 417790
Penkridge (01785) 714152
Wombourne (01902) 898202
Someone who can explain just how our facilities have helped them is Forward to Health member, Naomi Floyd who said this:
Not being one of life's natural athletes, I tend to shy away from exercise but I've really enjoyed my FTH sessions with Ant as I've learned how to work out in the best way for my body. I particularly like the fact that I've been constantly challenged to push myself & the reward has been the changes I've seen, losing weight & inches. I always used to think this kind of exercise is just an excuse for someone to shout & bully me but I've been proved totally wrong! As I've dropped a dress size & begun to feel better in myself in many small but significant ways (no longer out of breath climbing the stairs, not clicking & crunching every time I get up off the settee) I've started to regain a confidence I've not felt in years.