Frequently Asked Questions

What is the grant of Exclusive Right of Burial (ERoB)?

This document is issued when a person has purchased the rights to bury in a grave for a set number of years. The council retains actual ownership of the land. The grant should be kept in a safe place as it may be required if the grave is to be re-opened or additional work to a memorial is required.

Who is responsible for the upkeep of a grave plot?

South Staffordshire Council is responsible for general cemetery grounds maintenance only. This includes grass cutting, shrub and hedge pruning and planting, tree works and the upkeep of gates and roadways.

Please note that from time to time it may be necessary to place soil on a graves adjacent to those that need to be prepared for an interment. Usually this is only for a short time and we will remove the soil and leave the area clean and tidy afterwards.

Is it possible to be buried in our cemeteries if I do not live in South Staffordshire?

Yes, anyone can be buried at our cemeteries regardless of where the deceased lived. There is an additional fee if the deceased (or purchaser of a plot if buying in advance) has never lived in South Staffordshire. Please contact us for more details.

What happens to the grave following a burial?

A temporary grave marker is placed on the grave once it has been backfilled by our grave diggers. This is removed once a permanent memorial has been installed. The turf is replaced once the grave has been backfilled and flowers from the funeral service are left on top of the grave plot for two weeks.

Sytch Lane Cemetery

Can family members carry the coffin to the graveside?

Yes. Family and friends that wish to carry a coffin to the graveside should ask for guidance from their funeral director on the safe way to do so.

Can family members fill in the grave after a burial has taken place?

Grave digging staff will backfill the grave following a burial. Family members may, at their own risk, backfill the grave but must adhere to instructions from grave digging staff at all times. Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to backfill the grave.

Do I need to take out insurance cover for a memorial?

We cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by others and with that in mind we recommend that you take out insurance cover for your memorial. Your chosen memorial mason will be able to give you details on this.

What can I do if the soil on the grave sinks?

It may take many months for the ground to settle following a burial and sometimes especially after heavy rain, sinkage may occur. Street Scene staff periodically check and attend to such graves but if you are concerned please contact Bereavement Services on 01902 696000.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.