Do I need planning permission?

Before you start any building work (or use any building or land for a new purpose) it is very important to check whether you need planning permission. If you don't, you may be breaking the law. At the very least, you will be exposing yourself to unnecessary hassle and expense.

To find out whether you need planning permission, you must either:

  • consult the Planning Portal ;
  • submit a householder enquiry (for extensions and outbuildings at home); or Pre Application (for all other proposals)
    To help the application registration process, we would strongly advise pre application requests are submitted by email and payments are made online. ( and payments made here).
    Response times - A pre-application request is likely to be 20 working days for Householder Enquiries and in excess of the 40 working days preferred response time for all other pre-apps.

    Please note there is an increase of Pre Application Fees for applications received from 01 April 2022.
    Increased Pre Application Fees from 01 April 2022.
  • submit a lawful development certificate (for everything else).

We cannot give you informal advice in any format.

Other pages in the section

Permitted Development

Automatic planning permission for some proposals.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.