Help with the cost of living

Find out more about the support on offer to help with the cost of living from a range of organisations.

How we can help

  • If you need help with paying rent, you can claim Housing Benefit if you are of Pension Credit age or live in temporary or supported accommodation. If that does not apply to you, you should apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.
  • If you need additional help with rent or other housing costs, you could claim a Discretionary Housing Payment.
  • If you need help with council tax, you can claim Council Tax Support.
  • If you need additional help with council tax, you could claim Council Tax Discretionary Reduction.
  • Staffordshire Warmer Homes is a scheme aimed at combatting fuel poverty and helping residents across the county to heat their homes for less, using greener and more energy-efficient solutions. This is run jointly between Staffordshire's borough and district councils, alongside Staffordshire County Council.
  • Districts, boroughs, and Staffordshire County Council also support the Beat the Cold charity, which offers fuel advice.
  • Our Creating Brighter Futures programme can help you find work or improve your employment prospects.

How Staffordshire County Council can help

  • Household Support Fund: A fund which helps households with essential costs relating to food and utilities.
  • Staffordshire Warmer Homes: A scheme run by Staffordshire County Council, in partnership with district and borough councils. Its goal is to combat fuel poverty across the county and help residents to heat their homes for less, using greener and more energy-efficient solutions.
  • Read the Energy bills guide for advice on switching provider, lowering usage, energy supplier grants, energy price cap, energy bill discount, winter fuel payments, advice and support regarding energy within your community.
  • Bus Passes are available for older or disabled residents.
  • The Cost of Living Support Page offers a benefit checker and support for businesses, energy bills, food and essentials, funded childcare, helping others, money and debt, staying warm, staying well, support in your local community.

Help with budgeting and debt

  • Citizens Advice drop-in sessions are available at Codsall Community Hub, WV8 1PX, Thursdays 9am – 3pm, Tel: 0808 278 7874.

    They also offer a free budgeting tool.
  • Money Helper offers useful tools for managing money, prioritising bills, ways to boost income, meals on a budget, money and mental health, self-employment and much more.
  • National Debt Line offers debt advice over the phone, online, and live web chat - budgeting, advice regarding high energy bills, money saving tips, useful contacts, fact sheet library.
  • The Money Charity offers budgeting advice, information, and a range of free online resources.
  • You may also be able to get additional financial support if you are claiming Universal Credit or other means tested benefits.

Help with cheaper broadband

  • Ofcom has information on a range of social tariffs, offered by different broadband providers.

Help and advice on energy bills

  • Energy Saving Trust offers advice on saving money on energy bills.
  • Fuel Bank Foundation offers tips and advice about what help your energy supplier may offer you if you are unable to pay your bill and where to go for additional help.
  • Money Saving Expert offers a guide to help to pay energy bills with a list of suppliers and schemes on offer. As well as information on saving money for water bills
  • The Gov website offers information if you own your own home. You can get recommendations for home improvements that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep warm.
  • The National Grid offers advice on addressing fuel poverty.

Help and advice on water bills

  • CC Water offers advice hub and useful tools to help you reduce your water bills and access further help.
  • Severn Trent Water offers help for people on a low income who are struggling to repay water debt.
  • South Staffordshire Water offers information on their Assure Tariff for customers on a low income. They also provide information on WaterSure, a scheme to help families save money if you are on income related benefits and use a lot of water.
  • SSW Charitable Trust offer help for those already in water debt and are not able to repay it.

Help to reduce or fund travel costs

  • Help for Households offers government cost of living support, covering winter fuel payment, warm home discounts, household costs, childcare costs, benefits, and transport costs.
  • MoneyHelper offers advice on cutting down on car and travel costs.

Help looking for work

  • Job Help offers government information and resources to help you find job opportunities in a wide range of sectors, including adult social care, retail, food production and logistics. They also offer step-by-step help for over 50s.

Money saving tips

  • offers a calculator for improving energy efficiency in your home, including the estimated cost of improvements and how much you will save.

    It also offers information on how to claim Income Tax Relief on money you've spent on things like work uniform and clothing, tools, business travel, professional fees and subscriptions.
  • Uswitch offers a comparison on the cost of different cooking methods, and information on energy-efficient cooking.
  • Too good to go is an app where you can buy surplus food from restaurants, shops, cafes and manufacturers to reduce food waste and save money.
  • Olio is an app that connects neighbours with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared, not thrown away.
  • MoneySavingExpert offers information on food and drink deals in restaurants and supermarkets.
  • NHS Healthy Start offers help to buy food and milk for those on benefits with a child under four years old.
  • Staffordshire Connects offers information on cooking on a budget.
  • Disability Resource Centre offers help and advice for people with disabilities.

Was this page useful?

A-Z of services