What to do when someone dies

We understand how difficult dealing with a death can be and we can help to provide advice on many of the practical things that need to be done at this sad time and also direct you to organisations that can offer further support and guidance.

Death Registration

The registration of a death is dealt with by the Staffordshire Registration Service. A death must be registered within five days, or seven days if a coroner is investigating the death. The death must be registered in the district where it happened. Online appointments can be made on their website by clicking on the link below or alternatively you can contact them by telephoning 0300 111 8001.

What to do when someone dies

There are certain things that will need to be done within the first few days following a death. You will need to talk to some organisations and fill in documents needed by law.

  • If there is no will, decide who will sort out the estate, then get probate.
  • Tell the family doctor.
  • Contact a funeral director.
  • If the death was at home or a nursing home they will take the deceased to a chapel of rest. Make arrangements for the funeral.
  • Get a medical certificate of cause of death signed by a doctor, or contact the coroner's office for advice if they are involved.
  • Register a death at the registration office.

Further information on what to do when someone dies can be found on the UK Government website by clicking on the link below.

Apart from registering the death and arranging a funeral, there are many other matters to be dealt with and some of these are listed below. Please note that this is not intended to be an exhaustive list but should give you some idea of what needs to be considered.

You should inform the following people of the death:

  • The Local Authority as you may need to provide information about Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits.
  • The Inland Revenue.
  • Any hospital that the person was attending.
  • The deceased's water, electricity, gas and telephone suppliers.
  • The deceased's landlord or Housing Association (if applicable).
  • The deceased's GP.
  • Any relevant banks or building societies.
  • The Post Office (for the redirection of mail).
  • Any pension providers Any insurance companies (including home, contents and car).

You should send the following items belonging to the deceased back to the relevant organisations.

  • Passport
  • Any pension or benefit cheques
  • Driving licence
  • Library books and tickets
  • Vehicle registration documents
  • Travel passes
  • National Insurance papers
  • Membership cards of clubs and associations
  • Any property of the NHS such as wheelchairs, crutches, hearing aids etc.

Cruse Bereavement Care can provide support following the death of a friend or relative. Cruse can offer face-to-face and group support delivered by trained bereavement support volunteers across the UK. You can call Cruse on 0844 477 9400 or visit their website by clicking on the link below.


Get in touch


South Staffs Council

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall

South Staffordshire


Show on map

Office Opening Times

If you are unable to find what you need online today please contact us on 01902 696000.

Mon-Tue,Thu-Fri 09:00am - 17:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 17:00pm
Sat-Sun Closed

Face to Face appointments are available but must be pre booked in advance of your visit by calling 01902 696000.