£3.4 million South Staffordshire leisure centre refurbishments
South Staffordshire Council completed a full upgrade to Codsall Leisure Centre's gym last month, with a new state-of-the-art fitness facility unveiled on March 12. In addition, a brand new outdoor synthetic pitch – part funded by the Football Foundation – opened on April 1 at Wombourne Leisure Centre.
Further work is planned in 2022/23 for the South Staffordshire leisure centres which will undergo huge refurbishments worth a total of £3.4 million.
The work, set to start on Monday, May 9, will see major developments take place at Penkridge, Wombourne, and Cheslyn Hay Leisure Centres – with each receiving different bespoke improvements.
Phase 1: Penkridge Leisure Centre
The first phase of work will commence at Penkridge Leisure Centre on May 9 and will include complete refurbishment of the main entrance, reception area, stairwell and landing.
Plans are in place to ensure minimal disruption at the leisure centre, with all facilities remaining open for the duration of the refurbishment period. It is intended for works at Penkridge to be completed by the end of July 2022. Further work is however planned later in the year to replace the gym equipment at the centre.
Artists impressions of Penkridge Leisure Centre entrance and reception area.
Below shows the current and continued works in progress to the front and entrance of the building at Penkridge Leisure Centre.
Phase 2: Wombourne and Cheslyn Hay leisure centres
Phase Two will see work start at Wombourne Leisure Centre in the summer to fully refurbish the entrance and reception area. This will be followed by further extensive work to the poolside and swimming pool changing rooms in the autumn.
Work at Cheslyn Hay Leisure Centre, also part of Phase Two, will include complete upgrade of the reception area, poolside and swimming changing rooms. This is planned to start in the autumn of this year.
Artist impression of changing areas.
Councillor Len Bates BEM, Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: “In a post-lockdown world, it is more important than ever that we do all we can to facilitate the wellbeing of our residents – both physically and mentally – by providing them with high-quality facilities which can be used for exercise and socialising.
“These excellent improvements will see the leisure centres given a facelift, bringing in state-of-the-art facilities for use by our valued leisure centre members and customers. The work will also give the facilities a fresh, new look and feel, while offering inviting environments."
The full programme of newly-announced refurbishments is predicted to be complete by the middle of 2023.
Refurbishment updates and progress
Penkridge Leisure Centre Refurbishment (May, 9 – July, 22)
The refurbishment programme at Penkridge Leisure Centre will commence on Monday May 9. The work is anticipated to last for 11 weeks and is due for completion around Friday July, 22. The refurbishment of the centre will include improvements to the exterior of the building, a refurbished reception area and elements of redecoration to the centre including new flooring and lighting.
The refurbishment programme will also include the complete replacement of the gym equipment to provide the latest Pulse Fitness cardiovascular, resistance, strength and functional training kit. It is intended for the gym upgrade to be carried out shortly after the competition of phase 1. Details will follow in due course to confirm dates for the replacement of the gym equipment.
Throughout the programme we will endeavour to minimise disruption and operate facilities and activities as normal. We have detailed any known disruption below:
Monday May, 9 - Friday June, 17
• Main entrance and reception area will be closed.
• Customers should access the building via a side entrance where a temporary reception will be available.
• Customers should access reception to book into the gym, indoor cycling studio, sports hall and toning suite via the side entrance.
• Changing rooms will be unavailable during this period so please come activity ready.
• Access to the swimming pool and 3G pitch are unaffected.
• Where possible please book activities online and in advance of your visit.
Monday June, 20 – Friday July, 22.
• The new entrance/reception will reopen.
• All customers should visit reception, on arrival to register for activities.
• Access to the gym will be via the stairs from the male changing rooms on the ground floor or by using the lift.
• Due to the male changing rooms being required to facilitate access to the gym, they will be unavailable during this time. Male customers will need to visit the centre activity ready.
• Female changing rooms will be unaffected.
• Sports hall and toning suite customers should register at the main reception, however access to the facility areas will be via the fire exits to the specific facilities.
• Indoor cycling classes will take place in an alternative location in the centre.
• Access to the swimming pool and 3G pitch are unaffected.
• During the programme of work the disabled car parking bays will be relocated. The designated bays will be the closest bays in operation to the centre and will have signage to show they are designated as parking for disabled customers.
• Some parking bays will be required for contractors which will reduce the number of available spaces for customers. Please arrive early for your activities to allow additional time to locate a parking space. Where possible we ask customers to car share or walk to help us alleviate any parking issues.
South Staffordshire Council's Leisure Services look forward to improving the facilities for members and customers, and apologise in advance for any disruption or inconvenience caused as part of the refurbishment programme.
Further updates will be posted here in the coming weeks.
On-going progress and updates will be posted here however customer should follow South Staffordshire Council's leisure centres on Facebook to stay informed on developments. Customers can also sign up to receive free e-bulletins for the latest news from South Staffordshire's leisure centres at www.sstaffs.gov.uk/alerts